Your Visit to Thomas University!
Located on the former site of the Birdwood Plantation, Thomas University shares in the rich history for which Thomasville, Georgia is known. The lush campus environment is surrounded by oaks and beautiful landscaping. The physical facilities combine the best of both old-world and modern architecture. Imagine yourself reading a book on a wrought iron bench under the shade of an old oak tree. Or grab a quiet moment for reflection or study in the beautifully restored Balfour Chapel.
Visit TU and experience a bit of Southern hospitality in an historic academic setting. We can’t wait to welcome you!
Campus Visit Registration
Campus tours are offered Monday through Friday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Click here to schedule your visit. Upon arrival to campus, park in the lot located on Pinetree Street. Tours depart from the Office of Admissions, located in the Enrollment Management building D.
Not able to visit? Take a virtual tour by clicking any lettered building for more information. Select escape to return.
Thomas University, founded in 1950, is located on the site of the former Birdwood Plantation. Birdwood was initially developed in 1932 as a winter home for the Right Honorable William Cameron Forbes, former Governor General of the Philippine Islands and Ambassador to Japan. The original buildings are a historical feature of today’s campus. The manor house, which is on the National Historic Register, has been renovated and now serves as the Forbes Administration Building. The original dining room, kitchen, and guest rooms serve as the faculty annex and are connected to the manor house by a colonnade. The annex provides space for administration and faculty offices. The original carriage house has been remodeled for use as the business office. Since 1950, several buildings have been moved onto the campus, including the Birdwood Chapel, which was originally the Mount Carmel Primitive Baptist Church, and several classroom buildings. The campus facilities include sports and recreation areas, and is currently undergoing many expansion projects.
In 2009-10 the campus grounds were extensively upgraded and beautified. New entries, parking lots, sidewalks, lighting, and abundant landscaping contribute to the traditional pastoral campus design. A highlight of this campus design is the John and Beth Wright University Park, complete with a lake.
The Campus Center
Constructed in 1996 and renovated in 2009, this building is located near the main campus entrance. It houses the Hawk’s Nest (food service), offices for the Registrar and Staff, and the Campus Connection Center. The Campus Center Classroom is also housed here.
Student Life Center
The Student Life Center houses Athletics and Student Life offices, a fitness center and training room, Pre-College TRiO programs, and academic offices and classrooms.
Academic/Rust Science/Library Complex
The Academic Complex, built in 1985, houses the library, classrooms, and computer laboratories. The Rust Science complex, constructed in 1998, is connected via a breezeway and includes biology, chemistry, physical science, medical laboratory science, and nursing classrooms/labs. In addition to research materials, this facility houses a media center and the Career Center. State-of-the-art computer equipment necessary to the academic services of the University is also housed in the library. The library has over 20,000 print volumes, access to over 160,000 electronic books, over 90 print periodical titles, and GALILEO, Oxford, and Ovid database access. Additional volumes and periodicals are added with initiation of each new academic program. The learning laboratory contains the latest in audio-visual hardware and software, computers and other audio visual equipment. The Academic Complex houses the offices of the Director of Library Services, university librarians, library staff and the TU Career Center.
Smith Bonvillian Hall
This building was constructed in 2013. It is a two-story19,000 square-foot building creating the western perimeter of the campus’s Academic Quadrangle. It includes the Flowers Executive Classroom, a tiered auditorium with 124 seats and state-of-the-art presentation technology for conferences and events, three additional classrooms and three conference rooms. Offices for the Division of Counseling and Psychology, the Division of Criminal Justice, the Division of Nursing, and the Division of Social Work are also housed in Smith Bonvillian Hall. Connected to the main building by a covered breezeway is the Davis Annex which houses offices for the Division of Business and the Division of Humanities. The total facility provides 34 faculty offices.
Student Affairs/Business Services
In 1976, the current Student Affairs building was attached to the Carriage House and the combined facility served as the library for ten years. It now houses the offices of the Associate Vice President of Enrollment Management, the Director of Admissions, Director of Financial Aid, financial aid counselors. The Business Services building is adjacent to Student Affairs and houses offices for accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing, and information technology.
Division of Education Building
This building houses the Division of Education and was renovated in 2000 and again in 2009. Included in this building are two classrooms, one of which is a computer lab, and faculty offices.
Forbes Hall, located near the west entrance, was built in 1932 and was the original summer residence of U.S. Ambassador Cameron Forbes. This building houses the offices of the President, Executive Vice President and Provost for Academic Affairs, Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration, Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs, Director of Academic Operations, and Director of Human Resources.
The Birdwood Annex was constructed in 1932 as a guesthouse on the Forbes Estate. It is connected to the Forbes Administration Building by a two-story colonnade. The Birdwood Annex houses, the Vice President for Advancement, the publications office and public relations office and Alumni Affairs.
The Ireland-Poe Building was renovated in 2007 and again in 2009. It currently houses the Division of Math and Science.
The Gymnasium has 1360 person capacity and includes a basketball court, locker rooms, and a concession area.
The chapel, which formerly served as Mount Carmel Baptist Church, was moved to the campus of, then, Birdwood Junior College in 1952. It has now been moved from its original setting, and once renovated and returned to its original purpose, the chapel is part of the Ben Grace Historic Quad, named for the longtime supporter and Trustee Emeritus of the university.
The Magnolia Building was constructed in 2003, and was renovated in 2010 and again in 2013. It contains 2,688 square feet. This building houses the Center for Learning and Academic Support (CLAS) which includes the Academic Resource Center (ARC) and Student Support Services (SSS). The Magnolia building houses the offices of ARC and SSS.
The Residence Hall
The Thomas University Residence Hall is an 18,700 square foot brick building situated on 2.6 beautifully landscaped acres two miles from the university's main campus. The hall contains 32 spacious living units suited for double occupancy. Each unit has a private bath. All residence rooms are equipped with basic cable TV and wired and wireless Internet service. Each room has phone hook-ups. The residence hall has a game room, large patio, laundry room, and study area. A centralized mailbox is available just off the great room. A soft drink and snack machine is available for the students in the centralized snack area. A full kitchen is also available for those who prefer to cook their own meals. Additional housing is available in Thomasville.